This is the post for the week of September 8, 2015.
This week you will complete peer review for the first project and then submit your work by 11:59 PM on Monday, 9/14. If you need more time, use the grace period and turn in your work by 11:59 PM on Monday, 9/21.
Readings for the week of September 8
For this week, please read the following:
- Editing and Proofreading tips and skim Appendix B of Markel.
- Documentation on Peer Review in Canvas:
- Documentation on Submitting Assignments in Canvas:
Work for the week of September 8
- Turn in your Project 1 rough drafts for Peer Feedback by 11:59 PM on Tuesday, September 8. If you do not submit your draft on time, there is no guarantee that you will receive feedback. Follow these instructions to post your draft:
- Go to Discussions in Canvas.
- Choose the "Project 1 Peer Review" discussion.
- Post a reply to the Discussion (Canvas Documentation) that includes the following information in the body of the message:
- Tell your readers who you are writing for/where you imagine the bio will appear (e.g., on an engineering firm’s website).
- Ask your readers to look at anything you are trying to improve. Let them know the kind of advice you need.
- If relevant, explain anything else you want your readers to know.
- Attach your bio to the Discussion message. Be sure your file is a *.doc, *.docx, or *.pdf file.
- Respond to the two drafts you have been assigned for Peer Feedback by 11:59 PM on Thursday, September 10, following these instructions:
- Follow the Canvas Documentation to find the drafts you have been assigned. Note that people have to turn drafts in before they can be assigned.
- Write a response to each of the two drafts (Canvas Documentation) that includes the following information:
- Check the title of the document, and tell your partner if it is clear and effective.
- If you notice any spelling errors, punctuation errors, or typos, you can mention them in your comments, but please focus more on the content than editing and proofreading.
- Add comments on the content of the draft. Comment on at least three things your classmate does well and at least three things that your classmate could improve on.
- Revise your draft based on the peer feedback you received, using the Canvas Documentation to find your peers’ feedback.
- Submit your revised draft by 11:59 PM on Monday, September 14, following these instructions. If you need an extension, take advantage of the Grace Period and submit your revised draft by 11:59 PM on Monday, September 21. Remember that there are no revisions or rewrites after your work is graded.
To get to know your classmates better, you can read through the bio statements in the Discussion. If you notice anything you want to comment on, post a reply.